My First Lino Print

After an inspirational weekend viewing various open galleries at Somerset Arts Week I decided I would have a go at Lino printing, or Block printing as it is often known. A trip to the local art shop soon had me on my way!

I had designed a basic print last night, from a photograph I had taken a couple of years ago on the Ridgeway in Berkshire. The scene is of some telegraph poles going off into the distance, alongside a fence, with a field of green barley shoots in the foreground. I figured it would be a difficult one to start with, but thought it would be an interesting one to try as it required cutting a lot of the scene away.

I traced over my design with some thin paper, and then laid it onto the lino scribbling with a pencil on the back to transfer the design over.

Once the design was in place on the lino, I started making the outline cuts to ensure the main parts were left in place to take the ink.

Once I was happy that everything was cut away on the lino, I got going with the ink!

I think a flat non porous surface, such as glass, is recommended for the rolling of the ink, and I can see why. My plate was not very flat, so getting the roller inked up was not very easy, or effective!

However, I was a little impatient, and wanted to try out my new print!

Once the lino was inked up, it was time to try a print. I used a small piece of paper from a pocket Moleskine as a tester to begin with, placing the paper carefully over the lino, and pressing it onto the lino with the back of a spoon.

I am pretty chuffed with the result - although the design is not obvious unless you can see the original photograph! But as a practice run I am pleased. Now I just need to think of some more designs and crack on with some more experiments!